Puerto Fuckin' Rico


It's someday in September, and we've got a Labor Day BBQ planned for tomorrow with guests already making the side dishes they're bringing. We sit down for dinner, then the phone rings.

"Just got the call. I'm leaving tomorrow. Puerto Rico."

I'm mid-bite between flank steak and zucchini when my stomach drops. His bag has been packed for two days. I knew he was on the national response team with a 2-hour call-out for the next tropical storm brewing somewhere in the ocean. He had already told me that there was a 100% chance that he wouldn't see Tuesday. Yet, my stomach still turns at the thought of him leaving. I take a moment to text everyone coming to the BBQ to let them know we have to cancel.

I'm not one of those moms who do stay-at-home mom-ing well. I've found that the more I'm around the house, the more I fill up on junk TV and facebook. I've found that I'm most productive when I'm lost in something else. Nooo...life for me is so much better when I'm juggling - work, kids, activities. I've known this for awhile about myself. Sadness and jealousy sweep over me as I struggle to swallow my steak. Sadness because I'm going to miss him, and there's always a chance...jealousy because I know that going to Puerto Rico to work will be hard(ish), but staying at home with three kiddos is a helluva harder.

Puerto Rico.

The conversation fades into some talk about how granola bars and potato chips should be saved for school-day snacks and not consumed on weekends. Voices fade. I can hear people talking, but I have no idea what they're saying. When I'm asked for my opinion, I cannot contribute. I think..."Who gives a fuck about granola bars..."

I see a bottle of wine in my future.

This is the life. This is the moment-to-moment, I don't know what tomorrow brings, I'm going to raise my kids and hold my head up and appreciate every damn second life. I'm new to it. Other women, much better and stronger than me, have been doing this life for much longer. Lifetimes. This is where we earn the military dances and the free health insurance and the no-tax grocery benefits that we get. There's no such thing as a free lunch, and the fact is that this is the price we pay so that our children can see the world and we have guaranteed income doing work we love.

Last week, we went away for my birthday. It was a 7-hour drive. As on all of our road trips, I lose myself in him. I purchase the 2 for $3 Rockstars at every gas station even though I know they can send me into renal failure. I find the best cup of coffee an Exxon can offer, and I listen to his voice. I ask him about something that I know nothing about. He explains, often going on tangent after tangent. I allow him to lose himself as I listen. The song list plays in the background. Sometimes he'll sing along in his off-key raspy voice. And I'll think about how lucky I am...that I have this moment.

Because tomorrow he'll be in Puerto fuckin' Rico with a bunch of men telling dirty jokes...and doing work that keeps our country safe. And our bed will be empty. I'll make my own damn coffee. The kids will wake up and get themselves ready to catch the bus as I'm getting report at work. The world will be just a little smaller without him in it. And after a dinner of leftovers and conversation, I'll lay my head down in our lonely bed. I'll close my eyes and think of his voice. His raspy, smoky voice.