P90X FAQ

I get lots of emails about P90X, so I thought I'd share some of the questions I'm getting.

1. What's your favorite part about it?  I like that it's a program. When I got it, I plugged in all of my days and milestones into my calendar. I knew immediately how to balance my workouts with other responsibilities. This doesn't mean I don't have room to make adjustments, like last week. 

The second thing that I really like is that it has its own pre-tested schedule. What I mean by this is that I don't walk into a gym and think, "Hmmm, today I feel like I need cardio, legs, and back..." I don't have to think about what comes next. It's focused, it targets all of the right muscles and has the appropriate amount of cardio built in. All I have to do is follow it.

2. What's your least favorite thing about it? Two things...first of all, there's no excuses. It's a home program, so it's kinda staring at you from the corner of the room. The gym never closes. I both like this and hate this at the same time. The other thing to consider is that it's more of an up front financial investment, which is different from a monthly gym membership. More money comes out of pocket up front, but then in the long run, it's most likely a cheaper option.

3. Is it for everyone? Yes, I think anyone could do it. But, not everyone may be ready for it. There are minimum fitness requirements. If you want to do it but don't think you're ready, there are introductary programs like P90.

4. Are the workouts really that difficult? Yes. There are many times that we hit the pause button.

5. What's the most difficult workout in your opinion? In every single workout, there's something I dread. I get nervous and a little queasy when it comes up, and focus on bringing intensity. Before I've realized it, it's done and we're on to the next thing. The three workouts where my muscles always work to failure are yoga, core synergistics, and plyo.

6. I'd like to do P90X, but I'm not sure about the nutrition recommendations. Do I really need to stop drinking beer and change my diet that drastically? One should already be eating this way, regardless of whether or not they're on the program. The nutrition program isn't calorie-restrictive, it's healthy.

I love a glass of wine or a good margarita, but the presence of alcohol in the system causes fatigue, changes liver functioning, affects hormone levels, and can alter how fat is metabolized in the system. Even one drink can negatively impact REM cycles during sleep. If you've ever awoke at 2am because you couldn't sleep after drinking, you understand this. To get maximum results during the 90 days, the dietary recommendations should be followed. I would hate to see someone put in this kind of effort in an fitness program and not get the results they were looking for.

7. Aren't you proud of yourself and the way you look in the mirror? When I look in the mirror, I see all of my flaws. I don't know a woman who's not that way. When I look at photos, I'm astounded. I think to myself, "Wow, is that really how I looked then, is that really what I look like right now?" It feels self absorbed to focus on photos, but I understand now why all exercise programs require you to take them. The mirror lies, especially for women.

8. Will you do P90X again? I'd like to. Its a sustainable program. Ideally, what I'd like to do after finishing this round on Dec 9th, is to do something with a high cardio focus through the holidays, then begin a second round sometime in January. One of the programs that looks fun for filling in the gaps is Turbofire. I'll also probably toss on my running shoes a couple of times a week and maybe do a jingle bell run.

9. Do you think it was worth your investment? Yes, absolutely. 

10. Do you have any advice for me before I begin the program?  I read somewhere that most people succeed if they hold themselves accountable in 3 separate ways, so I decided to do this.

- I blog about it with weekly updates so that if I fall off the wagon, I've got some serious explaining to do.
- I have a workout partner.
- I have a P90X Coach.

I would encourage anyone beginning this (or any fitness program) to tell the world, find a workout partner, and get a mentor or friend.

No comments: