Stuffed Squash

So, the joke used to be that I couldn't boil water. With a lot of failures, I taught myself to cook. A year and a half ago, I swore that I'd learn how to cook healthy food in a way that makes it taste amazing, not like waxy green beans and chicken.

My two favorite resources are  For The Love Of Cooking  and  Eating Well Kids . At times I make adjustments for reduced calories, but otherwise between those two websites, I find a lot of great ideas for feeding the fam. Here's a recipe for stuffed squash that I've made twice this fall. 
One zucchini squash & one yellow squash - both in season during the fall, therefore CHEAP and high in nutrtitional density (fruits/veggies out of season can be nutritionally compromised).

You'll need one onion, garlic, and olive oil.

Other than these five items, I use whatever vegetables I can dig up in the fridge - pretty much anything works.  Here are carrots, frozen peas, and a bell pepper. 
Boil the squash for 8 minutes.

While the squash boils, sautee everything in a small amount of olive oil. Start w/ garlic & onions, then add everything else. I also threw in a little leftover chicken from the last night's meal at the very end. If it starts to dry out while cooking, add a shot of water instead of adding more olive oil.
After squash boils 8 minutes, cool it down w/ cold water. Cut it open & scoop out the insides.
Chop up the inside of the squash & add a little bit of it to the mixture. Stuff the mix into the squash. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 425 for about 10-12 minutes, until you see the veggies begin to brown on the ends.

No comments: