Day Sixteen: Fad Dieting


Fad diets don't work...old saying, but yet so many of us try them anyway. I know better than anyone, I was on some version of the Atkins diet for years.

It was a successful diet until the carbs found me.

If it doesn't make sense, then it's probably not sustainable. One might lose a quick 5-10 pounds (which they'll do with normal dieting just by reducing sodium intake and shedding water weight). But ultimately, one will fail....every time. More often than not, one will gain back more than what they lost.

Does it make sense to do nothing but drink a water/lemon/cayenne/maple mixture as sustenance all day? No, but yet so many I know have done the "lemonade diet". The same is true for Slimfast, HCG, Atkins, and a whole host of fad diets that are popular.

The only sustainable diet is to eat nutritiously. We should be consuming mostly plants, balancing starches with proteins, fats, and vitamins.

I challenge you to abandon your fad dieting altogether. I challenge you to pick up a copy of In Defense Of Food by Michael Pollan. He has amazing advice for eating nutritiously balanced meals from now on.

No comments: