Day Fifty-Seven: Perspective

"Dad...why does it always smell bad every time we drive on the streets here?" I asked my father on one of my childhood trips to Ciudad Juarez. "Because there's sewage in the gutters of the streets," was my father's response.


Of all of the things I love about being a student, among my favorite is this view. My school is perched on a hill overlooking the city that borders El Paso. Just immediately on the other side is another country, another life. Growing up as a child in this city taught me that no matter how badly I think I have it, all I have to do is look out and see exactly how thankful I should be. Every time I'm given this view, I feel the weight of gravity pull on me. I feel a little less naive, a little more thankful.

Perspective.

It seems absolutely ridiculous as I'm standing on that hill to be worried about eating right or getting in exercise. As I look out and see someone on the other side, I cannot help but think that any food to some is more than what they have, regardless of what its comprised of.

We have the opportunity to eat. We have the opportunity to eat healthy. We have the opportunity to get in exercise, have running water, heat our homes, and receive proper medical care when our children are ill. We have an amazing opportunity to live a fulfilling life, give back to others, and enjoy each day.

Someone else would gladly welcome any burden we have if they could also gain the life that we live.

I challenge you to take a moment to gain some perspective and hold onto it when it feels like times are rough.

No comments: