Day Eight: Sleep

Ahhh...to sleep like a baby. My children can put themselves into slumbering contortions that resemble Cirque de Soliel and wake up refreshed and energized.

Natural sleep is important, and it is something that cannot be forced. While nutrition, exercise, and water intake are all things that we have control over as inputs into our system, natural sleep is often a result. Most people can achieve deep, natural sleep by having the right inputs. During the hours we are sleeping at night, our body repairs itself. There are studies that show that a sleep deprivation affects mood, emotional health & physical energy; slows our ability to heal wounds; is a risk factor for weight gain, hypertension, & Type 2 diabetes. It is also associated with depression, alcoholism, and bipolar disorder. Getting too much sleep is not good for you, either. Seven to eight hours nightly is what is recommended.

"Natural" sleep means that you fall asleep without the aid of any type of sleep-aid substance such as alcohol, Tylenol PM, or any other drug.

Exercise & balance are my combatants to sleepless nights. I often worry in the evening, when my mind settles. When the worrying affects my sleep, I've usually left energy in my system that is still trying to work itself out. I combat it with a high intensity calorie-burning workout, a good yoga session, or a deep tissue massage. The solution I choose depends on what kind of energy my body is trying to expel. Sugar, caffeine, & "energy drinks" can cause sleeplessness, especially if consumed in the late afternoon or evening.

Do: Input into your food journal your sleep patterns. Are you able to get to sleep easily? Do you sleep deeply? Are you tired during the day? If so, what was your physical activity & intake that day/week? If not, what was your physical activity/intake? Do you see a correlation? Document any changes in sleep patterns and inputs that affect your sleep, positive or negative.

No comments: