Day Twenty-Seven: Having The Right Tools

The other day, I was 1/2 a mile into a 4.2 mile run. Slowly, under my shirt, my sports bra started riding up. Before I knew it, my nips were coming out of the bottom. I pulled it down in irritation. About half a mile later, it happened again. This repeated itself for the entire run. I remembered, "Oh yeah, this is the one that doesn't fit...I was supposed to throw it away..." It's no wonder the elastic was shot, I think I bought the thing 10 years ago.

I hate spending money on myself. I feel guilty, always have & probably always will. I love getting beautiful gifts from people & wear them with pride. But, when it comes to forking out money on myself, I freeze up. There's some sort of psychology behind that, & one day I'll dig deeper into it. You may find that you do the same.

We wouldn't expect a surgeon to perform great surgery without a scalpel, strong light, and a generous amount of antibacterial soap...a $100K education would also help. We wouldn't feel confident if a the person building our home didn't own a hammer, a tape measure, a calculator...and probably a good truck. Yet, so many of us go into the gym with equipment that is substandard. I know, I'm the number one culprit.

If we take our health seriously and want to remain injury-free, it is important that we use the right equipment. Here are some imperative investments that I urge anyone seeking a healthy lifestyle to make.
  • Shoes - Shoes are super-individualistic. Every foot is different, if you don't know if you're a pronator or supinator, you need to visit a running store where they look at your wear from old shoes, watch how you walk & measure your width and arches. Good shoes aren't cheap. Expect to spend between $85-$120 or so.
  • Gym Membership - When I started out, I had a gym that included child care. It was the only way I could fit in time at the gym. It also had a spa, towel service, & an amazing pool for the kids on weekends. Find one in the right price range in the right location - imperative.
  • Sports Bras - We all appreciate our "perk", so these are important. I've found quality sports bras for $16.99 at Target. You need at least 7 of these. I currently own 5.
  • Water Bottle - Mine goes everywhere with me, it was a gift someone purchased at Starbucks that runs about $12-$15. It should always be in your purse or bag. I like ones that completely screw on, like a thermos. That way, there's no leaking when it turns over in your bag.
  • Blender - Blending fruit is my favorite way to eat it in the morning. Juicing removes imperative fiber, blending keeps it. You need that fiber. There's nothing worse than a cheap blender. I use a KitchenAid that was a gift that retails at $179.95 from Williams Sonoma. Again, not cheap but very much worth it.
  • iPod - What would we ever do without workout music? If music motivates you to burn calories, put this at the top of your list. Depending on the iPod you choose, this can run $70-$200.
  • Antibacterial Soap - If you're like me, you break out easily if sweat stays on the skin. I wash my face before working out to remove the makeup. I take a hot shower after to get the sweat off my skin. Dial Gold Liquid Antibacterial soap is my fav that retails a couple of bucks at any grocery store.
  • Massage - I find very good, cheap, massage therapists. I'm a fan of Massage Envy, where it's $45 for a 1-hour session. Initially, I got a massage every other week as a reward during the toughest time, the first 3 months. After about 3-4 months, I dropped to once monthly. Now, I get them only as needed because I no longer need them as a reward.
  • Wrench System - I call this "wrench" because it's what happens when a wrench gets thrown into the mix. This is a home system for back-up when you can't make it to the gym for whatever reason. It includes weights, fitness magazines & DVD's with good workouts, a yoga mat, & a jumprope. I suggest buying every piece of this second-hand. You'll find people that spent a lot of money & never used it at all at garage sales & on Craig's List.
  • Sunscreen - If you do outdoor activities like running or hiking, you need to protect your skin. I use a moisturizer that has SPF in it that runs about $8-$10 a bottle.
  • Flattering Workout Clothing - This is one I'm still working on. It's hard for me to invest in something I'm just gonna get sweaty, but I know I feel better when I'm wearing something cute. This can be expensive, so it may take time.
  • Exercise-Specific Equipment - Swimmers need goggles, a cap, & a suit. Weightlifters often wear gloves (I don't). Each sport or activity has its own equipment that it requires.
  • Personal Trainer - If you don't know proper technique, have never spent time in the gym, or think you know what you're doing, but really don't...get a trainer. They are experienced, licensed professionals.

No comments: