Day Twenty-Three: Right Frame Of Mind

We've been at this for three weeks. That's a long time to stick to a New Year's Resolution. If you're still here, pat yourself on the back. You're sticking to one of the most important commitments you could ever make.

I found that when I made this commitment, a switch had flipped. It was a switch that had been tripping for some time, making inconsistent sparks. That was good, but it wasn't enough. Once the switch had finally flipped, I felt that nothing could stop me. Chinese food at the office looked disgusting to me. McDonalds & Burger King looked like dogfood. It's probably because they pretty much are with a little sugar added in for addictive effects. I took my tennis shoes to the office & walked during lunch. I didn't care that I went alone much of the time. I was motivated all by myself. I was on a mission to take care of myself and live the rest of my life as healthy as I possibly could.

Are you in that frame of mind? If you are, then it makes sticking to it very easy. It doesn't mean you're a health freak or nut, it means that you're tired of taking care of everyone else & not yourself. Rejoice.

Give thanks to the many people who encouraged you to get to this place. I had two: Megan Rencher http://personalchallengefitness.blogspot.com/ & Beth Belk. Both women were super-fit. Both women encouraged me & talked straight to me. Both were trained professionals in fitness instruction. Both were friends who cared about me.

Expand on this network. There are so many dieticians, personal trainers, fitness instructors, & running partners out there. Join a running group, meet people in your aerobics class, go to Farmer's Markets, talk to your instructor - they're human & like having friends. Meet other people who are in the right frame of mind, it will encourage you, it will hold you accountable. It will motivate you to remain in the right frame of mind as well.

Do: Check out The Rudd Center For Food Policy & Obesity at http://www.yaleruddcenter.org/. This is a great source of information & resources that can help you remain in the right frame of mind.

No comments: