Day Twenty-One: Sensuality

We are sexual creatures, and the sensuality of a woman is the source of much of the art & beauty in this world. I would argue that there is nothing more beautiful than the human form.

I didn't feel sexy. For five years, I felt frumpy. I felt like the best years of my life were floating around somewhere in my past before I had babies. I was mad at my children because having them took my body from me. I was angry at my husband because he didn't appreciate the sacrifices I'd made. I was upset when I'd see a pregnant woman who had gained a healthy 20-30 pounds instead of the 45 I gained with my pregnancy.

I was mad...at me.

How could I have taken such poor care of myself? I didn't want people to take my photo. When pictures were taken of me that I didn't like, I'd pray that they wouldn't somehow end up where anyone might see them. Those photos now motivate me more than anything because I can see how unhappy I was behind my smiling eyes. Does this sound familiar to you?

It's sad that I'd place so much emphasis on my physical appearance, but it's true. It's also true for the thousands of women out there who seek breast augmentations, lip injections, liposuction, and any other physically alterating procedure to make themselves look more attractive. There's a very strong correlation between how we feel about our body and how we feel. We see it in the thousands of women in America who are obese and on antidepressants. Which causes which? Maybe it's a little of both...
One of those amazing bonuses that comes with weight loss & healthy living is the sensuality that returns to the soul. The skin regains its vibrance, there is more confidence in the human form, we put on outfits in the bedroom that haven't been worn in years. We feel sexy again.

Do: Read your love letter to yourself that you wrote at the beginning of this. If you didn't write it, see the posting on 12/31/09. Does it mention sensuality? If not, update it with something that talks to your sensual nature. Go buy something that makes you feel confident & wear it. Pull out your "before" photos & take updated photos of yourself. Look at the difference - how do you feel?

No comments: